How delightful, we now have an excuse to eat something sweet without stressing about the empty calories and sugar rush! The recipe I’ll highlight here is my version of sweet potato wedges, fries, or chips (depending on where you live…). These are the perfect side dish to a meal or simply something light you might snack on at lunchtime. The method couldn’t be easier,however the thing we need to make sure of is that we leave them in the oven long enough. Think baked potato, around 40 minutes? A common mistake people make with this dish is boiling the potato first, but I find this makes them very mushy, that is if they don’t completely fall to pieces! Anyway, I’ll go through it the way I make them, but play around with seasoning, there are some great variations.
2 x sweet potato
extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180-200°C (fan-oven) – I’m sorry as I have no idea what the equivalent of this is on different ovens! Let’s just say whatever heat you use to bake a pizza?
2. Peel each sweet potato before cutting each in three ways, slicing them into chips.
3. Layout the chips on a lightly greased baking tray, spreading each so they can cook evenly. Try not to overlap.
4. Lightly brush a thin oil coating over the chips without soaking them. This will help them cook better, and in my opinion enhance the taste.
5. Go wild with seasoning! I use paprika and pepper as this has proven to be my favourite in the past. But you can use lots of different things, maybe tumeric, basil, mustard powder? Whatever floats your boat…
6. Cover with tin foil and pop in the oven, whilst 40 minutes seems like a long time. The wait is worth it 🙂